Work began February 23, 2005 on the restoration of our Finch Park Lovejoy Memorial flower garden. The flower garden was originally dedicated in 1940 to the memory of Mrs. Carrie Emerson Lovejoy, the original organizer and first president of the McKinney Garden Club in 1930. Mrs. Lovejoy died in 1939 and the memorial garden was dedicated to her in 1940. In 2005, the club placed a bronze marker celebrating the 75th anniversary of the inception of the McKinney Garden Club.
The garden was originally planted with petunias in 1940. In 1946, it was redone with white dwarf zinnias and in 1947 with tulips. Over the years, it has been in varying states of plantings. In 2008, a handful of club members took on the task of replanting the garden with various plants. A youpon holly was planted in the center for a focal point. Unfortunately, nut grass was introduced into the garden. In a short time, it had taken over the garden. The Garden Club voted to completely restore the garden, including replacing the sidewalks and retaining walls